Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Piece of Cake!

I wanted to get a craft fix in this evening, so I made this card for my mom to give to a friend of hers. The recipient is a cake maker - so I immediately got busy thinking of what cake images I have on my cartridges. I was able to use Simply Charmed, which my mom got me for Christmas. Perfect!

So often, I use more monotone color combo's, so this was fun to do. I like that it has a variety of colors that I wouldn't ordinarily combine.
































Recipe:
- White 4.25"x5.5" (A2) card
- Cake and all layers from Simply Charmed p. 74, cut at 3"
- Cake accents embossed with Tim Holtz Swirls
- Cake accented with Stickles (Crystal, Yellow, and Orange Peel)
*please note the vivid orange color on the flames. This is due entirely to the Orange Peel Stickles; the actual color of the paper was pale yellow (see base of cake). I am quite familiar with Orange Peel, as it was my first and much-used Stickles, but this is a perfect example of why you should test things out before you slap them on a final project - it's brighter and more pigmented than most Stickles!
- Pink mats embossed with Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder
- Pink mat punched with Martha Stewart Lacy Doily Lace Border Punch
- Sentiment by Hero Arts, stamped in crushed olive
- glossy accents

This was a pretty quick card - unusually quick for me. I think the main reason it flew by is because I had pre-sketched what I wanted to accomplish. I've written about this before, but I find this to be a really time-saving technique, especially for a Miss Busy such as myself.

- - -

I'm thinking Etsy shop. I am being urged by several loved ones. We'll see. :)
Hope you're keeping warm! Thanks for reading!
xoxo
Emily



6 comments:

  1. Loving this! You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! You should totally try an etsy shop! I think everyone should have one! Take a look at mine if you like: http://www.etsy.com/shop/monicalott?ref=seller_info

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - the colors really do look fantastic. It is fun and sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily, i just found your blog and love all your projects and can't wait to see more!! OMG girl, you have to tell me how you did that heart Rosette I LOVE it!!!! I'm for sure a new follower and excited to come back to visit!! I hope you can stop by sometime:)
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! BTW I love your card so CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily, I have a blog award waiting for you on my blog:) Congrats!!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message. It really brings a smile to my face! :)